Agony in the Alleghanies 2023 will be on May 13th!
Agony in the Alleghanies is a destination Gran Fondo cycling event you won't want to miss! Come to Virginia's scenic Alleghany Highlands region for the Agony in the Alleghanies Gran Fondo event.
Easily accessible from Interstate 64, and four hours' drive from both Washington, DC and Charlotte, the Alleghany Highlands' majestic peaks and picturesque valleys might be mistaken for a region of France or Germany. With electronic chip timing, a King of the Mountains competition, and a mass start, all the elements of the classic European Gran Fondo will be here stateside and served up with southern hospitality. No Michelin guide required!
Choose Your Challenge!
We offer riders 4 scenic course choices this year:
- Grand Fondo* 103 Miles 9791 feet climbing
- Medio Mtn* 64 Miles 6006 feet climbing
- Medio 69 Miles 5841 feet climbing
- Piccolo 30 Miles 2167 feet climbing
*Gran Fondo and Medio Mountain courses include a 7.7 mile chip-timed King of the Mountain contest up Warm Spring Mountain.
- Post-ride food and beverage
- Bike valet service in Covington Friday night/Saturday morning
- Shuttle service from parking at Clifton Forge finish to ride start in Covington on Saturday morning
- Free technical/mechanical support
- Stocked food and water stops
- Electronic Chip Timing
- Finishers' Medal
- Through 12/31/22:
- Gran Fondo: $50
- Medio or Medio Mountain: $45
- Piccolo Fondo: $30
- 1/1 -2/28:
- Gran Fondo: $60
- Medio or Medio Mountain: $55
- Piccolo Fondo: $40
- 3/1 - 4/28:
- Gran Fondo: $70
- Medio or Medio Mountain: $65
- Piccolo Fondo: $45
- 5/1 - 5/13 (Ride Day):
- Gran Fondo: $80
- Medio or Medio Mountain: $75
- Piccolo: $50
Register by noon on April 13th and you'll receive an Agony in the Alleghanies t-shirt.
Support the local Alleghany Highlands community
Agony in the Alleghanies benefits the Clifton Forge Area Food Pantry.