Agony in the Alleghanies has been rescheduled from May 9 to June 20. You've been wanting to ride a mountain road century or metric... Agony is ON!
Register by noon on Friday June 5 and you'll receive an Agony in the Alleghanies dri-fit shirt.
Choose Your Challenge! Come to Virginia's scenic Alleghany Highlands region for the Agony in the Alleghanies Gran Fondo event.
Agony in the Alleghanies is a destination Gran Fondo cycling event you won't want to miss!
Easily accessible from Interstate 64, and four hours' drive from both Washington, DC and Charlotte, the Alleghany Highlands' majestic peaks and picturesque valleys might be mistaken for a region of France or Germany. With electronic chip timing, a King of the Mountains competition, and a mass start, all the elements of the classic European Gran Fondo will be here stateside and served up with southern hospitality. No Michelin guide required!
We offer riders 4 scenic course choices this year:
- Grand Fondo* 103 Miles 9791 feet climbing
- Medio Mtn* 64 Miles 6006 feet climbing
- Medio 69 Miles 5841 feet climbing
- Piccolo 30 Miles 2167 feet climbing
*Gran and Medio Mountain courses include a 7.7 mile chip-timed King of the Mountain contest up Warm Spring Mountain.
Special safety precautions:
- Post-ride food and beverage
- Bike valet service in Covington Friday night/Saturday morning
- Shuttle service from parking at Clifton Forge finish to ride start in Covington on Saturday morning
- Free technical/mechanical support
- Stocked food and water stops
- Electronic Chip Timing
- Finishers' Medal
- Time trial-style starts. Cyclists doing each distance have a 30-minute window to start their rides to avoid congestion at the start area:
- Gran Fondo 7:00 - 7:30 am
- Medio Mountain 7:30 - 8:00 am
- Medio Fondo 8:00 - 8:30 am
- Piccolo Fondo 8:30 - 9:00 am
- All volunteers will be equipped with goves, masks and hand sanitzer. Multiple sets of gloves will be used throughout the day.
- AId stations will be stocked with hand sanitizer, per-packaged gels, energy bars, etc.
- SAG wagon drivers will be equipped with gloves, masks, hand sanitizer and individually wrapped/bottles snacks and water/energy drink.
- Packet pickup tables will have sanitizer and volunteers will have amsks and gloves. Social distancing guidelines will be followed.
- All packets will be put together by event staff wearing gloves and masks.
- EMS on call throughout the event.
- Food will be plated/served by caterer following the race - no buffet style lunch.
- Until 12/31/19:
- Gran Fondo: $40
- Medio or Medio Mountain: $35
- Piccolo Fondo: $30
- 1/1/20 - 2/29/20:
- Gran Fondo: $50
- Medio or Medio Mountain: $40
- Piccolo Fondo: $33
- 3/1/20 -3/31/20:
- Gran Fondo: $55
- Medio or Medio Mountain: $50
- Piccolo Fondo: $36
- 4/1/20 - 6/18/20:
- Gran Fondo: $65
- Medio or Medio Mountain: $60
- Piccolo Fondo: $38
- 6/19/20 - 6/20/19 (Ride Day):
- Gran Fondo: $70
- Medio or Medio Mountain: $65
- Piccolo: $40
Support the local Alleghany Highlands community
Agony in the Alleghanies benefits the Clifton Forge Area Food Pantry.